[ale] Installing RH onto a IBM PC Server 704

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 17:10:18 EST 2003

John -

I would go forward with the standard Gentoo kernel and revisit the issue
once you've got the whole system emerged.  I have had to utilize
alternate kernels because the ones supplied with Gentoo would not work.
In that case, it was a one-CPU box and the supplied 2.4.20 kernel would
not work but a vanilla 2.4.21 would.

It may be that the supplied SMP kernel image is not urping on account of
its SMP-ness but because of other stuff that isn't even relevant in your
case.  For instance, aren't there boot-prompt options like nousb,
noframebuffer, and other stuff that you won't miss if it's skipped?

- Jeff

Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at comcast.net>