[ale] Installing RH onto a IBM PC Server 704

John Cole JohnC at LGEFCU.org
Mon Oct 27 16:33:16 EST 2003

Howdy!

I've spent part of today trying different things to get Gentoo to run.  It
will only run via the normal Gentoo kernel (not SMP).  Can I boot via Gentoo
then when I run stage 1 define the system as a SMP system?  When I get to a
prompt in regular Gentoo and run lsmod it sees the AIC-78xx (AIC 7880 is the
controller inside.

The disks are 16 4.5GB drives in 2 raid 5 arrays. (8 per an array).

Thanks,
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Hubbs [mailto:hbbs at comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 9:21 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] Installing RH onto a IBM PC Server 704

If you can't tell by visual inspection, I'd try booting up a Gentoo CD
to see (via lsmod) what it detects.

One thing that's nice about Gentoo is that it gives you an option of
booting up to an SMP kernel for all that initial heavy lifting
associated with building gcc and so on.  I'm having fantasies about
putting "-j5" in make.conf on that thing....

What does it have for disks?

- Jeff

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 09:10, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> That sounds like the scsi module is wrong. Try booting from the boot
> floppy you made during installation. You may need to do some boot line
> editing to tell the scsi controller some parameters it needs. What scsi
> controller does this beast have?
>
> On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 09:00, John Cole wrote:
> > Howdy all!
> >
> > We have an old IBM PC Server 704 that I'm trying to re-use as a linux
> > server.  It has a Quad PPro-200, 1GB ram, 12 4.3GB drives.  RH 7.3
installs
> > just fine.  After it reboots it kernel panics on the SCSI controller.
It