[ale] printing through router

aaron aaron at pd.org
Fri Oct 17 02:30:56 EDT 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 01:31, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> I have one of those little firewalls that also has a print server on it.
>
> The firewall is an SMC Barricade. I think I have lost the manual, but I went
> to their online manual found the closest router and read those directions.
> My guess is that the port is "lpt1." and that I just use the host name.
> Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it to work, and Suse is not
> auto-detecting it.
>
> Has anyone gotten one of those firewalls to work as a print server for linux
> (better, Suse 8.2)?
>
> There are a lot of choices in Yast2, and I have tested most of them through
> trial an error, and still failed to get it to work. Thanks in advance.

I've been running my laser printer(s) over the server in my D-Link Router /
Firewall for some time.  Using the CUPS html config tool, it was a simple
matter to set it up as URI: lpd://---.---.---.---/lpr  where the dashes
represent the local address for the router (also it's configuration access
address). Two other point and click steps in the CUPS html pages then let me
select the brand and model of printer. The physical connection from router to
printer is a parallel cable.

I just made a killer deal on a LaserWriter 12/640 PS to replace my recently
deceased  HP-IIp +PS cart, a workhorse for my Amiga and Linux boxes that has
served me for 12 years. It works great over the D-Link server, but it also
has an ethernet option and I may switch over to that method... just for the
challenge of configuring it without a Mac, of course. :-)

peace
aaron