[ale] which distro

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Oct 14 01:46:03 EDT 2003

"Liberie F. Cunha-Neto" <sales at ezatlanta.com> writes:

> Hi folks
>
> 	i like know which distro linux the ale members like use (at home, work)
> just for curiosity
>
> which personal notes

My Samba/DNS/web server runs Slack 8.1, as does the firewall that sits
between me, my cable modem, and my wireless AP. (I fooled around with
Smoothwall and some other "firewall-centric" distros, but Slack was
the only one with the out-of-the-box flexibility to do what I
wanted. I probably could've beaten one of the firewall distros into
shape, but life's too short.)

My desktop Linux box runs SuSE 8.0.

The laptop on which I'm writing this, and which gets by far the most
Linux face time, is running Red Hat 8.

Slack is the only distro I'm subscribed to, and probably the only one
I ever *will* subscribe to. It's the most "Unix-y" of the big distros,
and I like that about it. Patrick Volkerding is welcome to my money.

I paid Red Hat for the RH8 ISOs; it was my first time as an RH
customer. It's a reasonable everyday-use distro. The BlueCurve UI is
OK, I guess. I really don't care much what desktop is in front of me,
as long as it lets me stick pretty pictures on the background and
start xterms and Emacs :-) (Even in Windows, I'm pretty much a
shells-&-Emacs kinda guy.)

I installed SuSE via FTP and haven't given them any $$. I'm really
starting to like SuSE, and with it KDE, though I'm having some trouble
coming to terms with Konqueror (the KDE browser). Like, how the heck
do you tell it where to save files you want to download?  Yeah yeah,
shift-click, but that doesn't work with SourceForge's automagic
we-pick-a-mirror-and-start-the-download-for-you thingy. And there
doesn't seem to be a SuSE RPM of Mozilla.

And that brings me to what I love most about Slackware: I don't have
to care whether someone has made an OS-specific package of the
software I want to install.  I just get the source, configure it the
way I want, and install it, and I have no doubts about where things
are or what I can safely delete later. With SuSE, for example, I'm not
quite sure whether it's "OK" to go out and build and install
Mozilla. Will that cause future problems with the package management?
I'd rather not find out the hard way. So what I do with the SuSE and
RH boxen is, if I have to build something myself, I install it in an
out-of-the-way place, typically somewhere under my home dir (since
I'm the only user anyhow).

If someone shoved bamboo shoots under my fingernails and forced me
to choose the one and only distro I'd have to live with forever,
it'd be Slackware.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka

> thanks all