[ale] which distro

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Oct 13 10:05:22 EDT 2003

Knowing that the regularly covered and very recently discussed "which distro"
question is coming from a newbie to ALE, here's what I'm using:

Main system is RedHat, started at 6.0, currently "resting" at 7.3 (with no
interest in loosing my preferences in user environment  by going to 8.0 or
above).

The high school daughter's machine is Mandrake 9.1. She loves it.

The Media Machine I have under construction will get Mandrake as well.

Depending on how the newly added advertising elements are handled in future
free Mandrake distros, I will probably stay with it for a while. On the other
hand, I like what Knoppix does with Debian and will be keeping an eye on that
distro. If I get a junker machine to play with and some time, I'm interested
in exploring a couple of the other distros and work on engineering a custom
desktop version of Knoppix.

peace
aaron