[ale] [OT] Cable TV Gripes

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Sun Oct 12 17:46:11 EDT 2003

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

>On Sunday 12 October 2003 17:24, Geoffrey wrote:
>

>>It amazes me.  Back when we got 3 channels (ABC, CBS, NBC) there was
>>much better quality shows.  I'm getting ripped by Comcast for what I
>>pay to watch a few (pro/college) games and the weather..  Out of the
>>100+ channels they boast, I find 2-3 half useful.
>>

>My sentiments exactly. Other than Saturdays (College FB) I struggle to
>find anything worth watching, with over 300 channels to pick from. I
>really wish cable companies would go to a cafeteria style plan and just
>let me pick the channels I want. Give me one each of ABC, NBC, CBS, and
>Fox. I'll take all the sports channels, TechTV, Fox News, FX, and 2 movie
>channels.

Here here!

As I understand it, cable companies <supposedly> cannot afford to do
this, because of the massive increases in subscription fees charged by
ESPN and other sports channels.  I heard one cable exec gripe about how
their costs were continuously rising due to this increase in fees, and
thus the need to always raise rates, and show more commercials than
progamming.

Okay..I made the last part up about more commercials than shows.  :)

All I care about on TV is the cartoons for the kids, some chick-flicks
and CSI/L&O SVU/Survivor for the wife, and college football on Saturday
for me.  The other 99+ channels can go away for all I care.

Thanks

Jonathan Glass