A bit more info, Re: [ale] Limping laptop, locking X11

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Oct 9 18:04:52 EDT 2003

That "hostname lookup failure" is a good clue. Make sure that the
/etc/hosts file has the name of the machine in it. At the very least is
should have

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

Then make sure that the /etc/nsswitch files is set to use files, dns for
name resolution.

If that flops, make sure you don't have it set to go straight to
runlevel 5. Jeff's suggestion of backing down to an older version of X
is a great idea. Before that, though, try running X -configure from the
cli. It may be that you just have a terrible configuration that is too
cranky with the old chips.