[ale] SuSE Linux successfully installed...now What?

Michael Hartman sailhartman at comcast.net
Wed Oct 8 12:14:44 EDT 2003

All,
I wrote a while ago that I was making the conversion on an old Dell laptop.  I finally got through some bumps in the road (stupid stuff like getting to the screen to change boot sequence so it would read the cd-rom first, having a CD-rom player that's going bad, etc).  Thanks to everyone's advice the first time aorund ("Trying to make the switch to Linux")

Now I'm at a cross roads.  This computer is used by my wife primarily for email and spreadsheet functions.  I've got comcast for email.  I thought I had everything configured right, but I guess not.  One of the cool things of Outlook Express is that it leeches whatever's on the email network server, even if read by another program first.  Is this not the case with Kmail?  The Eudora I had running on my wife's laptop prior to conversion had the same limitation.  Bottom line is I need to get all of the historical email over to KMail and ensure that it works on a day to day basis.

The other issue is getting all of her files that I've got on my laptop over to hers.  Is there a way to network oure computers together.  I've got a wireless home network working that my Linux laptop is using now too.  In the past I could go from computer to computer via mapping drives, etc in MS land.  How do I do this in Linux-ville?

Thanks!

Michael