[ale] Lightweight Window Manager Issues

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 10:58:11 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 01:44, Greg wrote:
> After realizing that I spent more time trying to get old machines to do
> things that weren't in the cards than actually getting anything
> accomplished, I stopped messing with old stuff after 2-3 tries.  600 MHz
> stuff is dirt cheap and it seems that the lowest bargain basement computer
> is something in the 300 MHz range.  I cannot find any brand new CPU's slower
> than a 1.8 GHz chip if I want to buy new (in the bargain bins).

Like I said, this isn't my computer - it belongs to a nearby church.
Sure, it could be a firewall, but there's no Internet connection at the
church and therefore no role for it to play as a firewall.

It turns out that it runs X just fine, and it'll play little games just
fine, too - in a way, it's kind of satisfying that it takes it a few
seconds to think up moves in GNUchess.  I feel I AM getting this machine
to do something it can do.

As I've said, I've had more success with this old SuSE distro than with
anything else I've tried, but I have some usability problems that I'm
trying to address, namely, making it so any kid can look at icons on the
screen and go, ooh, look, chess, and just run it.

- Jeff