[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Wed May 28 08:39:08 EDT 2003

> Wouldn't distributed processing systems constitute "tough code"?  Where you
> have to design a system to utilize the processing power of multiple machines
> through multiple code layers (user, business, data, etc...) to achieve a
> scaleable, flexible and least cost solution?  Where the hardware costs are
> actually a significant portion of the budget and require careful management.
> Isn't this type of coding ubiquitous to many industries in our increasingly
> information services oriented marketplace?

That's a good question and it's one that I mull about in my head from time to
time even if only as an exercise.  If you're coding for a Beowulf-class cluster
as opposed to a Mosix-class cluster and therefore how you code is part of the
distributed-processing aspect, then you may well find yourself modifying your
code in order to use memory or L1/L2 cache more effectively for the sake of
speed.  What if, for example, you were able to code things in such a way that it
didn't matter all that much if you used Gigabit Ethernet or not and wound up
being able to save a few thou in the process?

- Jeff