[ale] New website for H1B [Slightly OT]

Dan Man danman at dtconnect.com
Tue May 27 22:34:17 EDT 2003

> I have posted at least 1 job that many $75+ hour programmers would not
take
> because it was "over their head/not in their coding
spectrum/unfamiliar
> territory." Still, the most qualified programmer bid at $25/hour,
lives
> across town and majored in the primary subject!

You left out "Mickey Mouse Project"... Not trying to be mean, but the
other excuses could have been just that, excuses for not wanting to take
on a particular project. Some people could have been trying to let you
down easily. You could have possibly made a reputation for yourself.

> In my opinion, the majority of the code is "easy." It handles data, or
easy
> mathmatical calculations - and includes but is not limited to "rocket
science
> (probably enough code to get a rocket into orbit and back)."

You are entitled to your opinion. We all know what those are like. So
basically write it yourself if it is so easy. Maybe you don't have the
time? Well, you are at the mercy of those who consult for you.

> I will *guess* that tough code would be video game engines, voice
recognition >
>or maybe drivers for the new wizbang hardware. Maybe software that
> graphically designs material products.

Please show some code you have written, oh that's right, you are hiring
people to write the code. You 'are' management material.

> Code that saves "processing time" or is more "efficient" can now be
offset
> with a few extra dollars spent on good hardware. By mandating comments
in > the
> code (like I do) one can employ cheaper programmers and have the code
> "corrected" by a single higher priced guru (saving money) if the need
> arises.

This is the thing that so many people on this list complain about
(Microsoft bloat).

>Sometimes I eat $28 steak, but I don't always enjoy it more than cheap
> steak
> (especially if I couple an extra beer with the cheap steak).
Incidently, I
> just came from the "Sirloin Stockade" buffet. $7.99 all you can eat
Steak > (it
> was more enjoyable than some of the higher priced steak houses I have
been > to
> - and I am in Texas!)

Good for you, you know how to pick a cheap steak house. That must mean
that you know how to hire programmers.

> *How* does your code work "better enough" to offset it's own price on
the
> organizations' bottom line?
> What does your "steak code" do, Grant?
> What does it look like?
> How is your code 3 times better?
> How are you better?
> Did you code in 1/3 the time, or is it code that does something "hard"
> (like
> maybe voice recognition)?
> What can you code that the cheaper programmer can't?
> Can you show us some "steak code" Grant?

Where's your 'steak code' Drew? According to what you said "Rather than
argue the point, I simply re-wrote the code (several times) so that
nothing
he did is in use anymore", if you wrote steak, you wouldn't have had to
rewrite it "several times" just to get meatloaf....

Put up, or well, you know the rest....

Dan Mount