[ale] video card recommendation?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Mon May 26 12:50:51 EDT 2003

 At that time Nvidia updated their drivers to ease
> installation. They provide a self expanding shell script with a
> curses menu wrapped around it. Works pretty well.
>
> - Ryan

The new driver works just great for many people (according to some message
boards I read).
I installed of Suse 8.2 with kernel sources. I used the new driver file where
you just type "sh Nvidia-etc". I read the manual. I was not in X. First of
all, there was no precompiled file that it was looking for. Why?

My problem *may* be related to the fact that I am running an AMD processor
(which affects the kernel installed). Still, it compiled successfully, and
installed the driver successfully. I got the splash screen. I can start
Tuxracer and Racer - and the sound is okay. However, I get a black screen and
a cursor in both programs.

Nvidia graphics cards are the weak link in my hardware system. I like to
re-install a lot (as opposed to tweaking). I just want a card that works
straight away. I don't like the extra step of going to some web site,
figuring out the poor navigation of a site (that practically hides it
archives) figuring out the correct driver and testing it - possibly wrecking
my box.

When this "new almighty" driver failed the first time - it was the last straw.
I am willing to pay the money to replace the cards with something that works
automatically.

I am assuming that if I avoid proprietary drivers for my 3d card, Suse will
have working drivers - that installs correctly. I think that Aaron had such a
video card - but if I remember correctly, it was built into the motherboard.

Violent things are going to happen to one of my Nvidia cards as soon as I get
this straightened out. The other will be for sale/trade.

Drew