[ale] Opera 7.11 Linux Final is Out

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Wed May 21 10:24:54 EDT 2003

You are not giving your code to your employer. Your employer is paying you for
the code. When you decided that you wanted to work for whatever company you work
for to you essentially made the arrangement that you would write whatever they
asked for as long as they give you a pay check.

Someone who writes software and then offers up the source code for free (as in
no money) is not doing such a thing. I do prefer that this be the way of things;
but, if someone, company or person, produces a product that they
do not wish to disclose the source to I don't really care. If it is a good
product that I feel is worth the amount of money they are asking for I will
purchase the product so as to say "Here, you have done well so far. Keep up the
good work."

To write something off because they do not offer the source code for a specific
platform is absurd. And it is not a valid argument to say that you must have to
source because you are concerned about some security hole it might create. I am
sure that 99.99999% of the people who make such an argument do not spend
countless hours going through every line of source code to every single program
they have installed on their machine.

On 21 May 2003 03:07:11 -0400
Marvin Dickens <mpdickens at tlanta.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-05-21 at 01:58, James Sumners wrote:
> > Oh no! Someone is trying to make a profit and not give everyone their hard
> > work.
>
> ...Snickering as I read this... I've been involved with computers and
> software in some form or fashion since the early 1980's. It is how I
> make a living and I really don't know how to do anything else. So, let
> me get this straight:
>
> I'm supposed to give away sw that I spend 40 or 50 hours a week
> writing.  Almost every programmer, with the exception of college
> students, that works on gnu or otherwise free sw also holds down a full
> time job as a programmer.
>
> To think it works any other way is not the product of a rational mind.
>

> Regards
>

> M. dickens

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59