[ale] Opera 7.11 Linux Final is Out

Synco Gibraldter synco at xodarap.net
Wed May 21 02:12:13 EDT 2003

on an open source platform, it *is* a joke to distribute a binary-only
package [let alone SELL it].  many people have contributed to the
operating system without asking for pay and then a company is going to
come along and stand on their heads to make money for themselves.  yes,
it's a joke.  and even if the money thing didn't bother me, the closed
source thing does.  the principles are all screwed up.  think about it.
linux (and so much more) wouldn't exist if we all shared opera's
philosophy.  luckily we don't.

not to mention that most linux operators are very security aware and we
know better than to run mystery binaries.  so much trouble goes into
locking most systems down from exploits, it would be absolutely absurd to
throw away the trusted computing base to browse the web.  99.99999% of the
other packages that run on linux are open source.

maybe 'joke' wasn't the right word.