To -> David Jackson Re: [ale] Is there anyone out there that fully understands the boot p

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon May 19 22:46:54 EDT 2003

Take a look at syslinux.  I believe its what redhat and some other distros use as a CD boot system to get the installer running.  As for the FS, the cdimage itself is ISO9660, but the el torito boot image is a fat filesystem, and can be just about any size, but floppy disk size is most common (and most compatible).

If you have a set of redhat CD's I believe they have the tools on them that you can use to make your own bootable install CD's for a custom distro.  Or atleast they used to (as of 6.something).

Mike