[ale] Need an RPM clue

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 10:29:26 EDT 2003

Let me start by saying "Thanks, Jim."

"James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> writes:

> OK. The "found 0 source and 0 binary packages" hints that the packages
> you have downloaded are corrupt or just blank. Redownload (or pull them
> from rpmfind.net)

I think there was some other problem, because the MD5s checked.

[snip]

> Also, you don't want to use the -F (freshen) flag since you are
> installing the devel package set. An easy way to do the entire thing is
> to download ALL the rpm for MySQL into an empty directory, cd to that
> directory then run "rpm -Uvh *.rpm"

That last suggestion did the trick. The only catch was, I had to
totally uninstall the existing MySQL 3.23, which turned into
a minor challenge:

mysql-3.23 depends on perl-DBD-MySQL

but

perl-DBD-MySQL depends on mysql-3.23.

How Microsoft-esque. But "rpm -e --nodeps" rescued me.

Thanks,

-- Joe