[ale] APC UPS at Sams :P (1100VA for $118)

Mike Panetta ahuitzot at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 10:22:43 EDT 2003

AFAIK the major difference is in how "smart" the unit is.  I believe the Smart UPS series have serial communication capability, in addition to the "dumb" standard relay outputs the BackUPS have (IE contact closures for power good/power out, and for battery depleated).  The SmartUPS definately have more blinky lights on the front then the BackUPS do (5 I believe on the BackUPS, VS something like 5 load lights, 5 battery status lights and 3 line status lights on the SmartUPS I have at home).

Then again, I have heard the only real difference is the cable that it ships with...  *shrug* I donno...

Mike