[ale] root's shell prompt

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri May 9 15:58:12 EDT 2003

On most of my machines, when I su to root, the $PS1 prompt changes.  This
is a nice feature, because I always know when I'm root or not by looking
at the prompt.

However, on one of my machines, when I su to root, the prompt stays the
same as the original uid's.  It seems to me it used to work as described
above, but now it does not.

Anyone know what controls this behavior, and how I get it back to the way
it was?  I really don't want the change PS1 in root's .bash_profile and
then be forced to use "su -" all the time.

Thanks,
John