[ale] Dual Adaptec SCSI adapters

roncordell at attbi.com roncordell at attbi.com
Wed May 7 07:45:10 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am trying to get a system up and running with dual Adaptec SCSI host
adapters, but not having any luck. Here's the deal:

Adapter #1 (first in the PCI list) - Adaptec 2940UW, one hard disk on LVD/SE
port, DVD and CD R/W on other port.

Adapter #2 (second in the PCI list) - Adaptec 2940U2W, two hard disks on the
LVD/SE port.

Both adapters have the latest BIOS installed.

When I boot the machine with no bootable CD in a drive, the first adapter
assigns its hard disk as Disk 0, and the second adapter assigns its hard disks
to 1 and 2. This looks OK.

When I boot the machine with a bootable CD in a drive, the first adapter
assigns its hard disk as Disk 1, and the second adapter assigns its hard disks
as 1 and 2. This looks wrong.

Even though the second scenario looks wrong, I can boot the SuSE 8.2 Linux
installation DVD, and it begins to load its IsoLinux boot image. After the
image loads, I get a flashing cursor on the screen, and that's it. Nada.

If I disconnect the hard drive from Adapter #1, so all I have are the two
drives on Adapter #2, and I try to boot the installation DVD, I get the same
problem.

So, does anyone have experience in setting up two Adaptec adapters and getting
them to work together? Does Linux support this? The SuSE DVD will work if I
remove one of the adapters, but I think the issue is how the devices are
getting assigned, not having two adapters.

Thanks for any insights,

-ronc