[ale] mandrake help

Robert E. Karaffa, II rkaraff at emory.edu
Tue May 6 12:24:35 EDT 2003

hi folks,
    I managed to hose my mandrake box during an upgrade from 8.2 to 9.1.
the thing boots to the point of an error message:  "warning:  unable to open
an initial console".

    I've been doing some self-help but haven't come up with a solution that
I fully understand.  So far, I've booted from the rescue CD, and am able to
get to my old partitions, so /var, /usr, /home and / are all still there
(yay!).  however, I haven't yet been able to get it to boot.
    I've had a look at lilo.conf...seems to be correct, but I'm not 100%
sure.  fstab looks okay, all partitions are listed correctly.
    This mandrake box is not mission critical, but I would like to minimize
risk to /var and /home and /usr, since some of my backup info is stored in
/home, and the web server stuff I'd like to keep if possible.
    Anybody willing to toss me a lifeline?  It is greatly appreciated.

-Bob K.
--
Robert E. Karaffa, II
e-mail: rkaraff at emory.edu