[ale] APC UPS

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu
Tue May 6 10:27:26 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 09:55, Hogg, Russell E wrote:

> I'm considering a UPS for home use.  I'm doing some reading now about
> what numbers matter and what is worth paying for when it comes to a
> UPS.
>
> I'm curious what sentiment the group at large has.  Surely a lot of
> you know more about UPS(es) than I.
>
> Thanks for the comments,
> Russ
>
> _ ___________________________________ _
> Russell Hogg
> ctcrreho at opm.gov

Well, you know..I get all sentimental when I think about my beautiful,
dependable little black and white APCs <sniff>.  :)

Seriously, I've used APC and Tripp-lite (http://www.tripplite.com/) in
production environments, and never had any problems.  Tripplite once
replaced a battery for me when it was 30 days out of warranty, and that
UPS is STILL protecting a dial-in server after 6 years of service.

IIRC, most modern *nixes have support for the powering down of systems
based on the serial port communication from the UPS, so I'm not sure
that software support is as critical...but APC does have their software
agents for linux, but you have to manage them from Windows.

HTH
--
Jonathan Glass <jonathan.glass at ibb.gatech.edu>