[ale] ssh version 1 and ssh -X

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue May 6 10:13:48 EDT 2003

While fighting the following I found I can't run ssh version 1.  When I
try to start sshd with "Protocol 2,1" I see this:

{1}:/etc/init.d>./ssh restart
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdDisabling protocol version
1. Could not load host key

I have RSA and DSA keys...

Now the reason I'm looking at ssh -1:

  I'm still trying to figure out why "ssh -X" is failing for me.  On the
remote machine it sets $DISPLAY properly but when I try to execute
"xterm" it just says it can't open the display.  When I execute "ssh -X
-v -v -v wally" I get alot of debug output but only this pertains to
x11:

debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/bin/X11/xauth list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
debug1: channel request 0: shell
debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: callback done
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
Linux wally 2.4.20 #3 SMP Mon Apr 21 18:38:26 EDT 2003 i686 unknown

That's pretty much it.  xauth list doesn't generate any errors either.

{0}:/home/nomad>xterm
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:14.0

If I ssh to another machine on my home network and execute the same
commands it works great.  /home/nomad is an NFS mount from a 4th machine
out of this loop so all 3 machines have the same home directory.  I
copied the /etc/ssh/ssh?_config from the working machine to the broken
one.

All 3 boxes are debian unstable with IPv6.  I've verified all the
packages, etc that seem relevant by using dpkg -l and the like.

Help?  This is driving me nuts...

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert at ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net