[ale] DSL

Matt Smith msmith at risklabs.com
Mon May 5 13:27:32 EDT 2003

I have some bad news for you.  It's some info your new local phone provider
probably didn't offer up.

If you change local phone service providers (from BellSouth to say, MCI,
etc) not only do you lose your current DSL, but it is not likely that you
will be able to get a replacement.  It has to do with what happens when you
actually change providers - it's usually a physical change of whose
equipment the other end of your line terminates at.  It may not be as
physical now (as it once was), but in any case, in every situation I've been
in when offered a change of local providers when asked if making this change
would affect my DSL, they said "Yes, you will not be able to have DSL" and
the conversation ended there.

I hope you have cablemodem access where you live.

--Matt