[ale] [way OT]: Workbench power supply?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu May 1 23:24:06 EDT 2003

I'm missing bits and pieces of this thread, but here goes:

If your dashpc only needs 70 Watts, then all you need is an 80W power
supply to give yourself some head room. 75 Amps at 12 Volts is a 900
Watt power supply. A clean computer system stable 500W power supply is
around $400.

Yes, it is possible to put multiple power supplies in parallel to up the
amperage output while keeping the voltage the same. That said, you will
need some big, honking diodes ($$$$$) to prevent "backflow" upstream of
the common point for every power supply. It is essentially not
practical.

The car battery is a good idea. Get a car battery charger and put it on
the battery during your testing. It will keep it charged up.

A car battery is rated to deliver around 600 Amps at 12V. But it can
only do that for about 1-2 minutes then it's dead. With your 70W need,
the battery will last about 100 minutes (depends on temperature and
"rest times"). You probably don't want to have the charger running on
the battery during testing as they do not have much AC filtering and
will tend to scramble delicate DC circuits like those found in CPU's.

As was stated by Jeff, the relevant math is:
V=IR
W=IV

The missing math is: