[ale] Debian Install Woes

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Mar 31 12:00:51 EST 2003

If you really want to do it the "debian way" you should use ~/.xsession and not
~/.xinitrc - but either works just as well.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-custom-x

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:47:09 -0500
Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > You need to check the X error logs. If startx fails, there is a config
> > problem and xdm wont run either.
>
> Agreed, he needs to check the config files, but startx could fail
> whereas xdm could start.  If the /etc/X11/XF86Config file is properly
> configured, but the .xinitrc file is not, then startx could well fail,
> whereas xdm could start since it uses different configuratio files.
> Point is, /etc/X11/XF86Config is used by both xdm and startx, but there
> are other files that are used by one or the other, but not both
> (.xinitrc, .Xclients..)
>

> > /var/log/Xfree86<something>
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 10:41, Herman, Izzie wrote:
> >
> >>It goes straight to a console...but when i try to do "startx", it blinks a
> >couple of times, then goes back to my login....would this be due to being in
> >runlevel 2?>

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59