[ale] Debian Install Woes

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Mar 31 11:56:57 EST 2003

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-runlevels

I prefer to read your statement that booting to xdm is a mystery rather than
booting to init 2 being the mystery. Booting to xdm just makes me angry.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:36:40 -0500
Jason Day <jasonday at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 07:15:51AM -0800, Herman, Izzie wrote:
> > I just installed Debian 30r1 and seem to be having some probs w/ it.  It
> > never makes it to xdm.
> >
> > What is the default runlevel for Debian?
> > Is the "X" init level still 5 in Debian?
>
> No, Debian boots up into runlevel 2, even if you use [gkx]dm.  Why is a
> mystery to me.
>
> > Any other advice you can offer?
>
> What happens when you boot?  Does it try to run xdm, fail, and drop you
> to a console?  Or does it just go directly to a console when you want to
> run xdm?
>
> The way Debian runs xdm seems... wrong to me.  Rather than booting to a
> different runlevel, such as 5, Debian boots as normal.  When gdm, xdm,
> or kdm are installed, they add an init script to /etc/init.d.  Each of
> these scripts is called by the boot process, and each of these scripts
> examines the file /etc/X11/default-display-manager.  This file should
> contain a single line, pointing to the location of your desired display
> manager executable (e.g. /usr/bin/gdm).  If this executable matches what
> the script is expecting (/usr/bin/gdm for gdm), then it executes it.
> Otherwise, it prints a message saying it's not starting the display
> manager, because it is not the default.
>
> Once you get to a console, you can start the display manager manually by
> becoming root and typing "/etc/init.d xdm start".  Make sure that the
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager file has a line which is the full path
> to xdm.  If X still won't come up, then it's likely an X configuration
> problem.
>
> HTH,
> Jason
> --
> Jason Day                                       jasonday at
> http://jasonday.home.att.net                    worldnet dot att dot net
>
> "Of course I'm paranoid, everyone is trying to kill me."
>     -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59