[ale] firewalls... illegal? Cany anyone read legalese?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Sun Mar 30 14:29:46 EST 2003

I also am not a lawyer and have tried to read this thing...

If anyone can clarify this bill, I would ask that you post it on ALE so we
can all know what we're dealing with.  To my totally uneducated eyes, this
looks like a bill that is being revised from preventing the theft of cable
and phone service, to include internet services as well. Just about any
big crime you commit, there are smaller laws that don't generally affect
law-abiding citizens that they pull out to lump on top of the major crime.
 For some reason it seems that it's not enough to murder somebody, you
have to have done it in *this* illegal way with *that* illegal object
during the commission of some other crime. :P

Passing a law that would globally make NATting firewalls illegal would
impact most government agencies in the state, as well as schools, banks,
businesses, and anyone who's online.  It is hard for me to imagine that
that is the intent of this bill, so again if anyone can decipher this, I
would be most appreciative.  If it's worth writing a letter, I want to
have all the facts before I go yelling "You can take my firewall, but
ye'll never take...my freedom!!!" :)

Many thanks,
jenn