[ale] RH - disappointing

Larry Grenevitch lg1450 at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 16 22:19:04 EST 2003

I am running SuSE and the real cost is $80 per year (professional version),if
you want the latest stuff.  But they have now said they will support each
release for 2 1/2 years.

Personally I feel their update service is far better than Red Hat because it
is graphically much like Microsoft's Windows update.  Very easy and convient
to load bug fixes and updates to packages.  Things are usually posted 24 - 48
hours after security patches have been announced.  Also unlike Red Hat you
can update ALL of your systems that you loaded from the same CDs not just
one.

The only exception to this is their enterprise version which has different
licensing, which they recently announced a 5 year support life for.

Personally I have two systems and I buy a new copy every year to keep the
revenue flowing at SuSE.  I load it onto both of my systems.  Upgrading to
the latest version has had some issues each time, but I have always felt that
the newer kernel and newer programs were worth it.

Also you get an easy to configure firewall (you don't have to know iptables)
that does not respond to tcp, udp, or icmp requests by default.  There is a
commented configuration file which allows you do make exceptions for
everything you would ever need including bridging (I am of course talking
about simplistic firewalling).  You get thousands of programs compiled for
you along with all dependent programs.

For what it is worth.