[ale] Another aha moment

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Mon Mar 10 16:11:49 EST 2003

So a few days ago, my wife became unable to print web pages on her (our)
Debian 2.2 system. She could still print text without any problem.
I had carefully set it up, written a small script to process the
postscript output of  Opera 5.1 with gs(1), and had image print working
for several months.

Last weekend, I double-checked all the software and it looked ok. I
looked at the cable on the printer side and verified that it was firm.
I looked once at the cable plugged into the
computer, and it seemed OK.

After a large amount of uxorial prodding, I sat down Friday night to
figure out the problem. I again checked the software. Then I actually
jiggled the cable on the computer side and observed that it was loose. I
jammed it back in and verified that the screws were tight.

That did the trick, and my antiquated software/hardware setup once again
produced  the wondrous art available at the subgenius site
(http://subgenius.com)

Moral: If something suddenly stops working where it was working before,
it's hardware.

-- CHS