[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Jun 26 17:37:07 EDT 2003

I would lean toward Mandrake over current Red Hat releases.

I've run RH 6.x through 7.3 over 3+ years without many complaints, but I
helped my daughter install and set up Mandrake 9.0 for her linux system
several months back and we have both been quite happy with it. IMO, the
Mandrake distro has more nicely integrated desktop and media tools than RH,
plus better RPM support from the Mandrake cooker. It also includes all the
(teenager) requisite network clients like GAIM and, at least at the 9.0
stage, still maintains separate Gnome / KDE GUI choices. I would even say
Mandrake is more "user friendly", just without the user limiting sides the
term usually implies.

I don't like the broken desktop KgnoDEme limits of RH 8 and beyond, so I'm
also planning to buy a boxed set of the Mandrake 9.1 release for my latest,
soon to be assembled media focused box that I've been collecting parts for.

HTH
peace
(after justice)
aaron