[ale] weird problem with Suse 8.2 and Samba

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Thu Jun 26 07:07:28 EDT 2003

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 4
>From: "George Johnson" <gljay at earthlink.net>
>To: <ale at ale.org>
>Subject: RE: [ale] weird problem with Suse 8.2 and Samba
>Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:12:40 -0400
>
>I just went to www.samba.org and downloaded the tarball.  Installed from
>there via shell not gui so as to learn about what I was doing better.
>So far so good.  Have XP and 98SE attached to SuSE 8.2 acting as domain
>server.
>
>gj

thanks for the input guys. I got it working last night. I wound up
having to go back in to Yast2 and installing all of the networking
packages. While I was at it I also installed all of the KDE packages and
all of the Gnome packages. after I did this and I went into the
networking services and turned on NMB as suggested in a previous message
(wasn't installed in default recommended installation).

works great now.

I knew I had the samba.conf file laid out right. I fought that battle
with Redhat 8.0 and I remembered how to properly lay it's format out.

I agree the GUI is great if you're in a hurry, but I would much rather
do all my
tweaking and configuring from the Command line

All in all SuSe 8.2 gets 2 thumbs up from me. I guess I will be trucking
it on down to
Compusa to purchase a Boxed set of SuSe 8.2 unless you know of someplace
where I
can get a really awesome price on a boxed retail copy of it.

Van Loggins        vloggins at turbocorp.com
Assistant System Administrator
Linux User #316727
1-770-532-2239 Extension 9404