[ale] really really deleting files....

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Jun 24 13:34:43 EDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Keith R. Watson wrote:

<<snip>>
> John,
>
> It all depends on what you mean by erase. Most people mean that the typical
> undelete tool won't be able to recover the file. There are a number of
> tools that meet this requirement such as wipe (which Dow already mentioned).
>
> http://abaababa.ouvaton.org/wipe/
>

> However if you mean no one, not even a three letter government agency can
> recover the data, then it is not possible to erase data so that it is
> totally safe from recovery. (I'm sure that will start a flame war) The real
> issue is how do you define the terms erase and recoverable:
>
> Erase - 1. The media is destroyed in such a manner that magnetic domains no
>             longer exist that can store data.
>
>          2. The media is bulk erased in a manner that all magnetic domains in
>             usable and unusable areas are randomized. (this would generally
>             require disassembly of a hard drive and degaussing with a *very*
>             strong field). In the case of a hard drive the media would not
>             be reusable unless timing marks were re-written at the factory.
>
>          3. The data is overwritten or obfuscated in usable areas of the media
>             but the it is still usable for data storage. Unusable areas may
>             still contain data.
>
> Recoverable - 1. Your data can't be reassembled and viewed by an un-authorized
>                   party regardless of the level of effort required (The NSA
>                   couldn't do it with unlimited funds)
>
>                2. The level of effort required is more difficult than the vague
>                   notions of recoverability most people have in mind.
<<snip some mighty fine stuff>>

More curious than anything else, but to beat Recoverable 1, would drilling
a small hole in the case and filling the cavity with HF solution (the
stuff often used to etch glass) work? Plug the hole with a polyethylene
plug, and _anybody_ who opened the case to get at the platters would get a
relatively nasty surprise.