[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

Cliff Free anaranjado at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 20 21:00:47 EDT 2003

I've used MANY distro's and my fav by far is Gentoo.  SuSE is good...
better than RH IMHO, but nothing compares to Gentoo for ease updating.
There is no waiting for the next version... you just "emerge sync &&
emerge -up world" about once a week (I love cron) and you're up to
date.  When they announce that New version 1.X is out... I still only
have to update my average of 2-4 packages a week.  The install can be
daunting... but it's also a great learning experience.  Due to being
source based, and having the ports-like system (portage) with it's
global CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and USE variables, nothing comes close in terms
of getting ultimate optimization with ease.  Plus prelinking REALLY
speeds up the load time of things like KDE.  Just my $0.02... If anyone
needs Gentoo help either drop me a line, goto http://www.gentoo.org and
look under user docs, or check out #gentoo on Freenode IRC.