[ale] OT: DVD Playback on Laptops

Stephen Leonard stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Fri Jun 20 12:28:36 EDT 2003

Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> I've been looking at portable DVD players because I've been having
> issues playing back DVD's on my HP ZE1250.  the laptop has an AMD 1.8 and
> 512Mb ram. Sometimes playback can be smooth and get choppy in some areas.
> I can only playback now in Windows XP.  My issues with DVD playback and
> lead me to believe that Laptops that have DVD drives are not suited for
> DVD palyback.  Are thes opinions shared or do I have an issue on
> my laptop?

My suggestion would be to verify Xfree86 supports hardware
acceleration for your video chipset.

http://www.xfree.org/current/Status.html

My laptop is a 1 GHz Athlon with a Mach64 chipset.  It played
dvds significantly better once I installed the accelerated
drivers, which were experimental and separate from the drivers
in the 4.1 tree at the time.

stephen