[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Jun 20 10:13:30 EDT 2003

Preston Boyington wrote:
>> Personally, with the advantage of YAST2, I can't imagine why you
>> would want to use apt.
>>
>> What is it you get with apt that you don't get with YAST2?
>>

> I only know what has happened to me over the years with updating and
> installing rpm's in RH (pre 7.2).  After changing over to Debian I
> haven't had any trouble installing or updating my machines, so I use
> it (Debian) to gauge other distro's.  I can only assume that YAST2
> checks and installs any needed dependancies and security updates?

There's no comparison between RH pre 7.2 and SuSE post 8.0.

You can open up yast2 and select the auto update.  When you do, you'll
be provided a list of patches that are available, security ones are
listed in red.  You can tell it to update all, or select the ones you want.

When you install anything via yast2, it takes care of dependencies.  It
installs what's needed and you don't have to do anything.

> Also does Suse have a little drop down box to choose which desktop to
> use (like Mandrake does at login)?  (if anyone knows where i can find
> this script let me know.  i want to use it on some livecd's i am
> making)

Are you referring to the X interface?  Yes it does, but this is
dependent on what you're running (gdm, kdm, xdm) not so much the distro.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...