[ale] presenters for June NW meeting?

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Thu Jun 5 22:30:07 EDT 2003

You have an interesting idea.  I have usually gone to the command line but with SuSE's newest YaST2 I have had good success.  Usually the older modules under a graphical sysadmin tool are the least likely to screw up since they have reviewed longer for bugs.  I will think about how that could be presented in a manageable way.  I haven't volunteered to present for June yet, but am thinking hard about a presentation that Dr. Dick Gayler was interested in.  Mainly focused on tasks done in Windows being demonstrated step by step in Linux in a side by side manner.  One viewscreen would be the Window's computer and the other would be Linux.  Haven't decided if I have time yet.
Dow

On Thursday 05 June 2003 08:04 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> I'm looking for a presenter or presenters for the June NW meeting.  If
> you've got a 15 minute presentation, get with me and between 3-4 of us
> we could do back to back presentations.  I'm willing to throw something
> together on something. :)

Not quite qualified to be a presenter...  Perhaps I could volunteer as your
visual aid, "See, <taps cage with pointer> if this ignorant hillbilly can
install Linux, *you* can too!" ;-)

Seriously, would like to see some advanced tweaking from the GUI.  Often when
I Google a problem, the only answers to be found are command line.  Fine if
it gives a step by step, not very useful when it assumes familiarity with
other commands.  End up Googling in circles until I give up and go work on an
easer one.  (don't worry, I have plenty)

Not sure about the other distros, but Mandrake has plenty of poorly
documented, yet powerful tools that can be run from the graphical.  Most of
them would make a nice 15 minute topic.  Process management is the one I
open, (then stare at stupidly) most often.  Disk Drake (or its RH / SuSe
equivalent) might be a good choice too.
--
William