[ale] uptime logs?

Ryan Matteson mattesonry at corp.earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 13:31:26 EDT 2003

Preston Boyington wrote:

> I have been asked if there is some way of figuring the uptime and
> intervals of uptime of a machine.  I have never thought much about this,
> so I don't know if there is a log written somewhere.
>
> Also they wish to know if a user shut the system down or if it was a
> power issue, etc.
>
>  From what I gather they want to be able to say "in June the system was
> up blah days until Joe installed the new hardware.  Before that we were
> up blah."
>
> Other than that I don't know any specifics.
>
> Preston

The uptime value is maintained by the kernel, and it pollable
through libc or the proc interface. You could use a combination
of last and uptime to determine to the best of your knowledge
what took teh system down. If the bx magically rebooted, it is
prob best to look at the logs (secure syslog can be used to send
copies of logfile messages elsewhere) and who was on the system when
this happened. Barring that no one tampered with the logs, this can
be helpful in coorelating activities.