[ale] Registering a Domain Name

Ron Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Sat Jul 26 11:03:58 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, H. Bieber wrote:
> http://www.godaddy.com

I have two different comments on godaddy.com:

1. If you are in sales and marketing, and find the internet to be a
valuable resource in contacting millions of customers for pennies on the
dollar, godaddy.com is wonderful. It's fast, it's easy, and you can set up
hundreds of feeder sites in no time, super cheap, to prevent those
evil-first-amendment-stifling-sysadmins from filtering you based on DNS
zones. They don't care who you are or what you're selling, no hassle, no
fuss.

2. If you are postmaster or sysadmin, doing a whois lookup for incoming
mail on godaddy, and/or a search on frequently used spammer registrars in
spamcop lists and similar newsgroups, may show you that bit-bucketing any
and every email message from (or more likely, mentioning or linking to) a
godaddy registered site may be in your best interests. Because they don't
do much checking, quilification, etc., every bottom feeeding sleazebucket
seems to adore them, and filtering them *all* out will most likely
eliminate the less-than-desirable types, usually the cable-modem and
I-have-DSL-so-I'm-an-ISP fly by night operations..

If I seem a little cranky, it's because the last 4 joe-jobs I've cleaned
up were all godaddy.com registered with an almost infinite number of
feeder zones.

(Sorry for the late response, Bellsouth took 3 friggin days to realize
how a DSLAM works, leaving without a working pair... amateurs.)

-Bop