[ale] Star vs Open Office

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Jul 18 20:02:42 EDT 2003

Harold, ALErs -

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, H. Bieber wrote:

> What is the advantage of running Star Office over Open Office? Don't
> worry about the fact that Star Office costs $$. I am just looking for
> software based reasons.

I have OO installed twice on one system: Linux and MsWin98 versions on the
respective partitions. I have SO also set up on the Linux side, but have
not tried it in MsWin. All work fine as "native" apps - I'll second the
comment that OO seems to come to life a bit more quickly than SO.

In addition to the extra accessory files and the database (which I
installed but not yet used), SO has a definite advantage in opening and
saving MsWord materials successfully. This is important to me as most
material I get from others is MsWd and sibs. YMMV.

If you decide to get SO, I found Star Office 6.0 at Borders (Peachtree
past Lenox and Phipps) just under $60. That beat or matched the web
sellers. Since I had a 10% discount coupon, I feel I got a good deal.

Naturally OO for free is a _great_ deal if Ms interoperability is not so
critical.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu