[ale] IPv6

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Jul 7 12:49:28 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:37:19PM -0400, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Interesting.  It appears that RH 7.3 supports it but RH 9 does not.

	Nonsense.  RedHat has supported IPv6 since 7.0 with support
improving each release.  8.0 and 9 has Apache 2.0 in them and that
supports IPv6 based web servers.  I've got RedHat 9 boxes on IPv6
now.  If you compiled your own kernel you may have shot yourself in
the foot but not cmopiling it in, but RedHat stock kernels all support
it.  You just had to enable in in the runtime network configuration file
and interface files.

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:27:13PM -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> > For information use this guy:

> > http://www.tdoi.org/

	You can get to Hurricane Electric's tunnel broker here:

	<http://www.tunnelbroker.net>

	You can get a /128 (single address) on the spot and a /64 (single
IPv6 subnet) a day or so after the tunnel is up and operating.  Freenet6
up in Canada <http://www.freenet6.net> will provide entire /48 networks
immediately on request through their tsp software but that's on the 3ffe::/16
6Bone while Hurricane Electric is a 2001::/16 Internet6 prefix (the
interoperate but 2001::/16 is production while 3ffe::/16 is experimental).
Hurricane Electric will provide wider prefixes (I have a /48 from them) but
you have to request it and justify it.

> > HowTo's, etc.
> > http://www.ipv6.org/

	More good resource sites:

	"Deep Space 6": <http://www.deepspace6.net>
	HS247:		<http://www.hs247.com>

	You can also use 6to4 immediately and have an IPv6 network that's
based on your IPv4 gateway:

	2002:{IPv4}::/48

	This works pretty well out of the box as well and talks to the
other two global prefixes.

	None of this works over NAT, however.  It has to terminate on
your IPv4 gateway.  So if you are using a Linksys or DLink or similar
NAT "aDSL router" or such, you are going to be SOL.