[ale] ping won't pong.........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:30:16 EDT 2003

Thank you Jim.

No, I cannot ping an IP address, except for the default indicate by
netstat -rn. I also cannot ping the IPS DNS servers or other web
servers. I can however ping the other boxes on the LAN.

When I ping, say......www.apple.com.... it's IP address is immediately
found and the modem lights blink in normal rhythmic fashion, but no
onscreen pong sequence occurs, as formerly.

I should add that I've recently changed ISPs.

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Can you ping an IP address ('ping 12.0.1.28')?  If so, then you don't have
> DNS configured correctly (check your /etc/resolv.conf file).  If not, check
> your routing config ('netstat -rn') for a default route.
>
> -Jim P.

Courtney Thomas
S/V Mutiny
Lying Oriental, NC