[ale] Booting Issues

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 30 12:14:40 EST 2003

"Trey Sizemore" <trey at fastmail.fm> writes:

> hen attempting to boot my newly installed system (ALT Linux 2.2 beta), it
> gets as far as the
> following and then stops with a kernel panic.  Is this repairable, and if
> so how?  I am a relative newbie, so be as simple as possible.  Any help
> is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> These are the last 4 lines when booting:
>
> kmod : failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-33 errno=2
> VFS : cannot open root device "2105" or 21:05
> Kernel panic : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 21:05

Easily repairable. Probably.

The problem is that at boot time the kernel is unable to find the disk
partition on which you installed the Linux root filesystem. Depending
on how your system boots (LILO? GRUB? Boot floppy?) the fix will be
different. At any rate, the key is to pass a "root=/dev/hd??"  option
to the kernel at boot time, or else to configure the kernel binary to
know the right root device.

Can you give us some more information about your install?  Is it a
dual-boot situation, with Windows and Linux? Or is it a pure Linux
machine? What device did you use for your root (/) partition?

-- Joe Knapka