[ale] redhat vs. suse

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Thu Jan 30 11:51:30 EST 2003

I've run both Suse and RH as workstations, I can't vouch for anything
other than RH and Slack as servers.  I'm assuming you're ditching windows
workstation here, so, my .02:

Both of them, as primarily X-running workstations, are easy to find and
install things on, do just about everything you can think of, are well
supported, stable, easy, blah blah blah.  For me it came down to a
preference between Gnome and KDE.  There are some differences in
philosophies regarding where to store files, type of setup file, things in
/etc, but if you use package management and all the graphical setup tool
things that each distro provides, you'll never see all of that.

The only other real difference is user base -- RH is in the US what Suse
is in Europe.  I guess what I'm saying is there's really no difference as
far as what's going to run on them, the real differences are Holy War type
things (KDE vs Gnome) that if you're not already a *nix user, won't matter
one way or the other most likely.

Suse *does* have a live CD demo that you can download and run, it runs a
full workstation setup without actually installing anything, so you can
see sort of what you're getting into before you buy.

HTH

--
Jenn Taylor
Onlinea Software