[ale] Volunteer work for non-profits : Stepping Up

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jan 28 01:54:29 EST 2003

Dear Watson:

Thanks for the response and sorry you are having difficulty posting to the
ALE list, but I believe the problems are being looked into.

Regarding your notes on FreeBytes, I'm happy to step up to the plate so
long as the pitcher isn't throwing knuckleballs at my head. :-) I would
therefore be willing to put in a few hours at FreeBytes this coming
Saturday, 03.02.01,  between 10am and 3:30pm, to help with your large
scale Linux system project. **

The only requirement for my volunteer work is the honest assurance that
any systems I assemble or install and any parts I might help salvage,
test or repair will NEVER be connected to, be installed with or otherwise
encourage the use of viral Microsoft operating systems or M$ related
software when said systems and components are delivered by FreeBytes.

If that requisite can also be met for others, I'm additionally willing to
work with you on the following Saturday, 03.02.08, inviting everynone
that was planning to attend the ALE gathering suggested for that date to
instead turn the event into a FreeBytes "Just Linux" Assembly &
Installation fest. If consumption of fermented refreshment is allowed on
the FreeBytes premises, we can all be sipping a few cold ones around the
work bench while actually spreading the OSS message we would otherwise
just be talking about.

All that's needed now is the confirmation of times and location with the
phone number of a contact person to coordinate with, so I invite you to
step up to the rubber, Mr. Niekro! :-)

Sincerely,
Aaron Ruscetta,
Linux Enthusiast

** To help you best utilize my abilities, know that I am a fairly capable
"Drives, Cards, Mem and Cables" electronics tech and have done basic
hardware assembly, trouble shooting and repair work on a variety of
systems, all in addition to having some decent soldering skills and
component assembly experience. I have also done a number of OS installs
and upgrades with a variety of platforms. If helpful, I can provide my
own computer assembly tool kit and/or burn a couple of install disk sets
for most recent RedHat releases, Mandrake 9.0 and OpenOffice.

PS:
I still stand firmly by my criticisms of the FreeBytes policies and
practices regarding their distribution of viral Micro$haft monopoly
products. Such policies leave the end users of their "charity" extremely
vulnerable to known technical failings and consumer abuses by convicted
criminals, all of which is entirely contrary to goals of technological
empowerment for public spirited or less privileged communities. I can
only become involved with the FreeBytes organization to the extent that
my work and contributions are fully separated from their detrimental
practices.