[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery SOLUTION?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Tue Jan 28 01:37:02 EST 2003

I follow your analogy. My push for higher standards with Linux should not be
taken as "Pro Microsoft."

In this case, your analogy is wrong. Microsoft is no Ford Probe. It takes me
much longer to install Microsoft (and install the programs that I need - like
a GUI ftp client, CD burning, display drivers, a different email client, a
different browser, and other accessories like Winzip - and I have never gone
as far as install ssh or mySQL/Php on it). Further, it is easy to install
stuff incorrectly on Microsoft - and then it is VERY difficult to cleanly
uninstall programs - especially with the reliance on the GUI. Moreover, the
price that you pay (time) for not testing software before installation makes
Microsoft demand more tinkering.

And Linux is no M5. Even the M5 is not an M5. I have found that an OS is as
"powerful" as it's USER. My wife does not use ssh. I don't use PAN, mySQL
(locally), or many of the other thousands of programs included. Linux has
powerful security features - but not all Linux boxes are as secure as Bob
Toxen's.

And, that M5? What opportunity does your buddy have to *use* the ability to
whip around corners at 80mph legally? Where can he use his car that he cannot
use a Ford Probe in this country?

[In support of your concept: a Land Rover requires special training (they even
have camps) and can be legally used to move through snow and mud where Ford
Probes and M5s cannot go]

Nay, what is central is that there are some people who have an M5 (or Linux)
and think that it is somehow more powerful than the person sitting in front
of the screen or steering wheel; even a Land Rover can get stuck in the mud.

Potential power is no excuse for having a faulty ignition switch.

Drew

On Monday 27 January 2003 23:55, John Wells wrote:
> Drew,
>
> With white flags a waving, here's how I look at it:
>
> A friend of mine bought a BMW M5 recently.  I still hate him for it.
> But, damn, what a car.  It just reeks of power and style.
>
> Before the M5, he had a Ford Probe.  Drove it just fine.  But when he
> bought the M5, his dad (an ex-BMW road racer) had him take a class at
> Road Atlanta to learn how to drive the thing.
>
> Why?  Because up until then, he had only driven a Ford Probe.  The M5
> had too much power, too many intricacies (yes, a true sports car should
> be driven properly and there's a lot of details to understand) to be
> used efficiently by someone who had no idea how to control it.  His dad
> felt it wasn't safe to set him out on the road before he had a decent
> understanding of how to drive it.
>
> Did the fact that the Probe *didn't* warrant special training to drive
> it make it a better car?  Perhaps, depending on who you ask.  If you ask
> someone who doesn't care about speed, German engineering, and a racing
> supension that can take the sharpest curves at 80 mph, they'll
> probably tell you the Probe is indeed the better car for them...it makes
> things easier, but sacrifices a certain amount of speed/handling/etc. in
> the process.  They don't need that extra kick.
>
> However, ask someone who can appreciate the M5 for what it is...someone
> who has either been trained or has driven an M5 long enough to know that
> there is a certain skill in being able to drive it and drive it well,
> and they'll definitely tell you the opposite.
>
> Kinda the way I look at Windows/Linux.  With Windows, you can jump right
> in and it has enough safety features in place that you probably will be
> able to develop some level of comfort rather easily.  Windows is an
> economy car.  Linux, otoh, is the M5 of the popular operating systems on
> the market: fast, efficient, and potentially dangerous, if you don't
> understand what you're doing.
>
> So, you make the choice on what you drive.  If you want the M5, go for
> it.  But, if you don't take precautions and make time to learn how to
> drive it, don't blame BMW when you total it.  And don't complain to all
> the other BMW drivers that their cars suck because you wrecked yours.  You
> knew (or at least, know now) the risks going in.
>
> And, don't give up.  Many people are working very hard to develop an
> "economy" Linux for the masses...it just isn't quite there yet.
>
> John

Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com