[ale] Again with the filesystem recovery (semi-OT)

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jan 27 14:13:35 EST 2003

On Monday 27 January 2003 11:23 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> >>From <http://www.simdesk.com>:
> >
> > "Several patents have been filed for SimExplorer, including
> > a recycle bin available on the Internet. SimExplorer moves
> > deleted data to a virtual recycle bin and allows users to
> > recover or restore that data if it was deleted by mistake.
> > Previously, this functionality was only available on
> > MicroSoft(r) platforms; SimExplorer now makes it possible
> > on all computer platforms."
>
> So, by noting that this functionality was available on Microsoft
> platforms, how is it they can patent it?  I thought 'prior art' rules
> apply in such a case?

Because of my favotire pet peeve.  Take a normal thing, then do it over the
internet and patent it.  Selling music over the internet.  On-line
calendars over the internet.  gambling over the internet.  Self-immolation
over the internet.  Things like that.

If it is over the internet, then it must be new and therefore no prior art.
Right?

Michael