[ale] Volunteer work for non-profits

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Jan 26 00:36:21 EST 2003

Greg wrote:
> The answer is probably in many layers:
>
> 1.  All PC's given to kids *have* to be the exact same, else the kids start
> whining over "Why is Susie's PC bigger/bluer/smaller/etc etc than mine.  So
> standardization is req'd in some aspects of their operations.

It's free, you get what you get.  They need to understand, life is not
always fair.  Be glad you get something.  Sorry if that sounds harsh.

> 2.  More games on PC's. (I dunno, I just made this up).

Wrong answer.

> 3.  It's a M$ world.  I know that this is a poor forum for pointing out this
> fact, but a fact it is.

So that's a reason to proliferate the illegal monopoly?

If you're giving a computer to someone who can't afford it, give them
something they can continue to use.  I would think they wouldn't want to
get into the grey area of having to prove they have valid licenses for
these machines.  Further, teach them how to update the machine and get
the free goodies that come with a free OS.  Further, if they are truly
underprivledge, they'll be tickled to get the computer with the games
that come with Linux.

> 4.  Their website says kinda that they are open to Linux provided that they
> have the things many small businesses need. i.e.:

They do.  I personally won't donate time to an organization that is
going to assist microsoft in the brainwashing of children.

> Why doesn't Free Bytes offer updated versions of Windows on their PCs?
>
> Free Bytes 'can' distribute copies of updated versions of windows
> (preferably Windows 95b), provided that the original license for the
> operating system is donated with the PC. The original license is the
> "Certificate of Authenticity." If your are in an office environment, the
> network administrator may have a drawer full of them.
>
> Otherwise, as a non-profit, Free Bytes is only authorized to distribute
> copies of Windows 3.11 and earlier. While it is not the latest software out
> there, it is perfectly suitable for the database management, word
> processing, and spreadsheets that are the greatest needs among non-profits
> requesting computers.

And I would say Linux is far better suited for such purposes. So who do
we talk to?

> So, I think that they are open in many respects, but you have to be mindful
> of reality.  I dunno, you would really have to ask them.  However, Windows,
> in some cases, runs on old stuff better, since it is not as strict as a *nix
> on stuff (read M$ has lower reliability standards.

Sorry that just isn't true.  How old of hardware are we talking?  I've
got a couple 386's with Slackware on them.  I assure you, the latest
Slackware will surely outperform windows 3.*.

I'll check out their website for contact info.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...