[ale] First time trashing Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jan 26 00:04:00 EST 2003

Sounds unpleasant. Soorry to hear about the problems. A couple of
pointers since you profess you're a it new to the Linux realm.

Never install "daily builds" of anything if you want your box to keep
running!!

the command "dir" is a DOS command. The *nix predecessor is ls.

You should be able to repair your system by booting from the CD and
running the  "upgrade". It will replace what is missing  and broken and
get you back going again. This time make a boot disk :)

Get a copy of Toms root boot disk and keep it handy. Learn how to use
it. It can save your tail from a major foul up by giving you a good tool
supply to work from on a single floppy. A second great emergency tool is
the bootable business card linux. I was able to extract data from a
partially corupted NTFS (WinXP home) box by burning it directly to a CD
burner.