[ale] SuSE 81 review, kinda...

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Sat Jan 25 22:37:28 EST 2003

You have to watch out on the SuSE install for 8.1 since the software selection is lacking even when you seem to pick all the package groups such as Default with Office, Network server, and so on.  I spent a couple of hours working my way thru the software list to get all the packages selected I wanted.  The install is fast but I want a better default selection of packages.
Dow

Geoffrey wrote:

> Keith Hopkins wrote:
>
>> Speaking of our girl SuSE, has anyone tried SLES7 or 8?  I'm looking
>> at upgrading my primary server (file/print/dns secondary) from SuSE
>> Pro 7.3 to either SuSE Pro 8.1 or SLES8, but I've had no prior
>> experience with SLES (Can you even upgrade a Pro 8.1 to SLES?)
>

> What is SLES???

SuSE Linux Enterprise Server.

>> On the bright side, I've done three Pro 8.1 new installs.  The
>> installer has gotten better, but still tends to trash itself on
>> complex disk management.  (putting lvextends before the lvcreates and
>> can't create new lv, both a symptom of not recognizing you wiped the
>> partition table and started over).  The new installs are a GBTon
>> faster then 7.3, I'd guess since all the rpms are compiled 586
>> (instead of 386), and the kernel optimized for my CPU (Athlon).  One
>> low end install went to a HP Vectra PPro200Mhz w/96M.  Gnome actually
>> comes up and the box is functional.
>

> I just finished an install of SuSE 8.1 personal on a Pentium 166/ 64mb.
>  I win. :)
>

>> Now, on to finish my latest distro install....PC-DOS (ick!)
>

> Okay, some variation of MS-DOS?  I've got a couple of copies of DR-DOS
> still hanging around. ;)

Ya, IBM variant.

--
Lost in Tokyo,