[ale] "toast" installation?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 23 23:47:02 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> Ok. I have this weird problem with Maxtor drives (and ext2 / ext3). I could
> not install RedHat 8.0 on a Maxtor drive (that already had Redhat 7.2 on it).
> I tried upgrading first, but no matter what I did - the computer would freeze
> during install.
>
> I took the drive out, and put it in the fastest hardware that I have: XP1700
> 512RAM
> It still would not install. Then, I put it in the most stable hardware that I
> have 1.2 gig thunderbird 512RAM. Went for the install. It failed several
> times, but when I did a minimal workstation install it worked.

For your AMD chips are you using the mem=nopentium option for your kernel?

> Unfortunately, the stable computer is the server, and contains a second
> harddrive where my wedding photos go. I "thought" that I specified that the
> installation wizard overlook this drive and not install anything on it. When
> I put the system back together, the computer would not boot complaining about
> /dev/hdc (the drive). The only option I was given was to do an fsck /dev/hdc
>

> That "repaired" the filesystem:
>
> [root at server root]# fsck /zetups
> fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> e2fsck 1.26 (3-Feb-2002)
> /dev/hdc: clean, 2083/396000 files, 524227/791154 blocks
> [root at server root]#mount /dev/hdc /zetups
>
> But, it toasted my data - I think. All of the files have numerical names now.
> All of the files are in a directory called "lost+found." I think that the
> files are still "there" but they are renamed and corrupted. Is this data
> toast?

What you're seeing are files or portion of files that were named with
the inode the used to have.  It's possible that you'll have some files
that are intact, others may be broken across multiple files now.

Are the number of files there representative of the number of files that
were on the drive originally?  If you copy the files to another machine,
you can use the 'file' command to determine the file type.  From there
you should be able to figure out what software to use to access each
file and determine the actual contents.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...